Monday, May 24, 2010

Elephant Journal - Smoking Some Weed to Deal with PTSD? – Ecstasy May Be the Better Choice

I've been getting beat up over at Facebook for my most recent article at Elephant Journal - Smoking Some Weed to Deal with PTSD? – Ecstasy May Be the Better Choice. If you check it, please leave a comment over there.

Based on everything we know about the psychological effects of marijuana, it makes no sense at all to allow sufferers of PTSD to self-medicate with weed. As far as treatment is concerned, ecstasy shows tremendous promise, and if the proper precautions are taken, all of the neurotoxicity issues can be completely mitigated.

But the readers seem to think I am a "conservative idiot" confusing facts with opinion - even though I cite the relevant studies (which I suspect no one read).

However, I am not opposed to marijuana use for healthy and responsible adults - although I have serious concerns about the risks of the newer high-potency weed - the THC content is getting so high that it now poses addiction risks, possible psychosis for those genetically or environmentally inclined, and a whole host of other issues, not least of which are learning disabilities, memory impairment, and anxiety disorders (including panic attacks and paranoia).

But I oppose the drug war and the insane penalties for drug use, so making it legal and taxable seems a better choice.


No comments: