Saturday, January 26, 2008

Recipe - Pumpkin Macadamia Nut Treat


I eat what many would consider an insanely clean diet -- no junk food, fast food, sugar, or any of the other things that seem so prevalent in the American diet. I haven't ever tasted a Crispy Creme donut; haven't eaten pizza in more than seven years; and so on.

This may sound rather bland and boring, but it doesn't have to be. Most of the foods I eat are only minimally processed and as close to nature as possible (within reason). But I am constantly seeking new ways to get my nutrition with as much taste and variety as possible.

My newest treat is tasty, healthy, and packed with nutrition.

Pumpkin Macadamia Nut Treat

Ingredients:
1 15 oz. can of organic pumpkin
2 tbsp of macadamia nut butter
1 heaping teaspoon of cinnamon
1 1/2 scoops whey protein powder (plain or vanilla flavored)

Heat the pumpkin and macadamia nut butter for 90-120 seconds in the microwave. Add cinnamon and protein and mix completely. You're done.

The pumpkin is loaded with fiber and vitamin A, as well as other trace nutrients. The macadamia nut butter is loaded with heart-healthy monounsaturated fat, as well trace minerals and plant sterols. Cinnamon helps lower cholesterol, decrease insulin levels, and has many other heath benefits. Whey protein, in addition to being easiest protein to digest, contains many immune system boosting elements.

Nutrition:
Total calories: 595
Protein: 40 grams (depending on brand)
Fat: 25 grams, most of which is monounsaturated (the good stuff) and 4 grams saturated
Carbs: 40 grams, of which 19 are fiber

Per Serving (2):
Calories: 297
Protein: 20 grams
Fat: 12.5 grams
Carbs: 20 grams, of which 9.5 are fiber

Personally, this is a one serving meal for me. But I realize that I don't eat the same way that others do.


2 comments:

mark said...

Will, this sounds great. Any ideas on a vegan substitute for the whey protein powder? Personally, I'm not too concerned about protein content, but I wonder if a soy-based protein powder (despite its nutritional inferiority) might be a pretty good substitution. Any thoughts?

william harryman said...

Hi Mal,

I have serious issues with soy protein, not least of which is the high phytoestrogen content, which poses risks for breast cancer and prostate cancer.

If you are looking for a vegan alternative, I would suggest rice protein, with the awareness that rice protein is not complete -- I can't remember which amino acid is missing, but I think it is methionine.

Peace,
Bill