Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Gratitude 10/16/07

Some things I am grateful for today:

1) The teachers I wrote about earlier tonight. It had been years since I had thought about some of them.

2) Curry chicken -- food o' the gods.

3) Books. I just started an older book by Stan Grof, Beyond the Brain, which is interesting so far. He begins with a look at how challenging it can be in science to move beyond the existing paradigm, relying on the work of Thomas Kuhn.

What are you grateful for today?


3 comments:

Unknown said...

There was a Nova episode on the epigenome tonight. I knew nothing about this nature/nurture combination in human developement. I would seem to say that trauma extends beyond the birth canal [Grof's 4th chapter], since it is not only there where we are 'scarred' to the core.

The book is twenty years old, and in such a dynamic field of science, itself. Do you find it dated as well as fascinating?

Unknown said...

I was looking at Grof's most-recent book, "The Ultimate Journey," at Amazon. Grof is on the faculty of CIIS. I guess you're all set for UA next year, eh? CIIS, I am thinking, might have a program that would allow you to develop all your areas of interest.

william harryman said...

Hey Tom,

Yeah, some of it is certainly dated, but he's trying in that book to assemble all the known material about the mind into a whole -- right now it feels like a useful antidote to all the mechanistic neuropsychology I have been seeing.

As far as school, I plan to attend the Institute of Transpersonal Psychology in Palo Alto -- although I'll be doing it from here through their distance learning program. The of U of A was WAY too cognitive-behavioral for my taste, not to mention the mechanistic elements of their program.

Grof stops by ITP from time to time, joining Jenny Wade, Roger Walsh, and Francis Vaughn. Good faculty.

Peace,
Bill