Friday, March 17, 2006

Vietnam War Memorial


I never felt any need to see this memorial. Kira wanted to visit The Wall, so we did. I had two cousins I never knew who died in the war, but I never felt much of a connection to the Vietnam War other than that it was wrong.

So I was there today, taking some pictures, and there was a group of veterans who were looking for names. They had a book they were using. They seemed like average men, except that they all wore something that claimed their status as Vietnam veterans.

I framed this picture and saw their reflections on the wall. They looked like ghosts hovering over the names of those who were lost. I felt such pain and suffering. I couldn't push down my tears. I had to walk away.

I never would have thought The Wall would move me in that way. Maybe it was the men. Maybe it was the grey skies. I don't know.

Some collection of feelings came together in that moment--cultural associations, personal feelings about war and loss, the societal scars from the war, and the physicality of the men who looked for names of friends or family.

I'm glad I went there.

I am glad I was soft enough to be touched by the experience.

No comments: